Assistant Quantity Surveyor
Permanent - Full-time
Our regional commercial teams are integral to the successful delivery of every Taylor Wimpey site. The function serves as the linchpin between our Technical and Production functions and makes the reality of a Taylor Wimpey development come to life. The Quantity Surveyor position within the commercial team is a challenging and diverse role. You will assist with site budgets, liaise with suppliers and provide support regarding the procurement of labour and materials. Collaboration is also key to the success of this role. You will work very closely with our site management, finance and design teams and support the reporting of key costs incurred across multiple sites. It is important you have a keen eye for detail, can forecast costs and enjoy negotiating with suppliers. It is a unique blend of skills required but a very rewarding role.
What you will do:
- Support with the commercial reporting of projects within the region covered by the local office
- Negotiate with a variety of external suppliers to ensure that work is carried out to a very high standard and at a reasonable cost
- Monitor and evaluate the performance of external partners to ensure high quality is being delivered
- Ensuring that commercial reporting of any Joint Venture schemes is accurate
- Stay up to date with continuing changes in product development and relevant building legislation that may have an impact on your work
- Develop a close relationship with the site teams and a detailed knowledge of your allocated sites by maintaining a visible site presence, ensuring all developments are visited regularly and attending site meetings as required
What you will have:
- Previous experience in a similar role within residential housebuilding
- A good knowledge and appreciation of UK building regulations and health and safety requirements within the industry
- Experience managing both internal and external clients in a commercial environment and an ability to build lasting and meaningful relationships with a variety of stakeholders
- A degree or higher education course which is accredited by the Institution for Chartered Surveyors (RICS)
- Strong knowledge and experience of relevant IT systems and experience with MS Office
Individuals seeking employments at Taylor Wimpey should know that we foster a culture of inclusion and value diversity positively which creates a better workplace and delivers stronger outcomes. We commit to treating all our job applicants and employees fairly and with respect, irrespective of background, disability or any other protected characteristic. If you require any assistance with regards to reasonable adjustments during the application process, please do not hesitate to contact us.
Checks and eligibility to work:
To be successful in this role you must be able to prove eligibility to work in the UK and hold a full UK drivers licence.
If you are successful at interview and the Company considers making an offer of employment, you may be asked to give your consent to the following pre-employment check[s] being undertaken by our third-party provider, Experian (or any other appropriate third-party provider that the Company chooses to engage).
The type of checks made will depend on the role in question but may include any or all the following
- Criminal records (DBS);
- Credit reference
The purpose of such checks will be to assess your suitability for the role. If it subsequently transpires that you have given incorrect, false or misleading information, your application will not be taken further.
What we will offer you:
Taylor Wimpey is a FTSE 100 business and one of the largest residential developers in the UK, building new homes and communities across England, Scotland and Wales. We are passionate about building new homes and communities with a focus on sustainability.
Our people are important to us and we want to make sure that we reward and recognise all the great work that they do. Our employees enjoy many standard benefits including access to the Taylor Wimpey House purchase discount scheme, pension (including company contributions), quality health cover, share save schemes as well as many flexible benefits such as buying additional holiday days, retails discounts, free Bupa health assessments and so much more. Our benefits work perfectly with our culture where you feel valued as a member of a successful team.
We offer industry leading subsidised professional training and development, which support our employees to excel and fulfil their career and personal goals in a variety of environments and opportunities. This in turn drives a strong succession of high performing customer centric leaders, really putting customers at the heart of everything we do. We embrace diversity and look to develop our people in the skills and areas they are most interested in, leveraging the qualities and appreciate the unique competencies, Skills and experiences that each person brings to the company.
Friday 21st June 2019