Our regional commercial teams are integral to the successful delivery of every Taylor Wimpey site. The function serves as the linchpin between our Technical and Production functions and makes the reality of a Taylor Wimpey development come to life. The Quantity Surveyor position is a challenging and diverse role. You will influence site budgets, liaise with suppliers and make key decisions regarding the procurement of labour and materials. Collaboration is also key to the success of this role. You will work very closely with our site management, finance and design teams and own the reporting of key costs incurred across multiple sites. It is important you have a keen eye for detail, can forecast costs and enjoy negotiating with suppliers. It is a unique blend of skills required but a very rewarding role
- Assist in the commercial function and reporting for projects within the region including site budgets, payments, benchmarking, WIP, cash flows and valuations.
- Monitor and report build costs periodically reporting any savings and excesses.
- Assist in the monitoring and evaluation of contractor performance.
- Management of external consultants involved in the commercial function.
- Collaboratively work with other TW internal departments.
What you will do:
- Scheduling and quantifying materials and labour.
- Ensure that Commercial Department procedures comply with both the TW Commercial Manual and the TW Operating Framework.
- Negotiate and place orders for labour and material sub-contractors, labour only contractors and material suppliers on a competitive tender basis to ensure the business output is delivered on programme and within budget
- Work alongside other departments to ensure project viability and improve cost effectiveness.
- Commercial Management
- Assist in WIP and cash flow forecasting.
- Complete Land Purchases exercises hopefully seeing the site from cradle to grave.
- Calculate all the prime costs on developments within the business, reporting any movements in the costs since the preparation of the land purchase exercise. Prime costs to include but not restricted to dwelling structures, professional fees, site abnormal and infrastructure costs.
- Preparation of Site Budgets for authorisation by the Business Unit Management Team at the appropriate time.
- Monitor and explain all cost movements within the site valuation.
- Have responsibility for processing all Contractor, subcontractor and consultant orders and payments, variation orders and day works.
- Undertake site valuations of production at budgeted cost on a monthly basis.
- Carry out full CVR process and prepare and present information for monthly Profit & Loss meetings.
- Attend Project Meetings, Pre-Start, Pre-Tender, specification, and any other relevant meetings as required under the Company’s Operating Framework.
- Input and maintain any computer-based databases or systems including Coins and Excel.
What you will have:
- Previous experience in a similar role
- A strong knowledge and appreciation of UK building regulations, NHBC and health and safety requirements within the industry
- Experience managing both internal and external clients in a commercial environment and an ability to build lasting and meaningful relationships with a variety of stakeholders
- Industry related business qualifications.
- Strong knowledge and experience of relevant IT systems and experience with MS Office
Individuals seeking employments at Taylor Wimpey should know that we foster a culture of inclusion and value diversity positively which creates a better workplace and delivers stronger outcomes. We commit to treating all our job applicants and employees fairly and with respect, irrespective of background, disability or any other protected characteristic. If you require any assistance with regards to reasonable adjustments during the application process, please do not hesitate to contact us.
Checks and eligibility to work:
To be successful in this role you must be able to prove eligibility to work in the UK and hold a full UK drivers licence.
If you are successful at interview and the Company considers making an offer of employment, you may be asked to give your consent to the following pre-employment check[s] being undertaken by our third-party provider, Experian (or any other appropriate third-party provider that the Company chooses to engage).
The type of checks made will depend on the role in question but may include any or all the following:
- Criminal records (DBS);
- Credit reference
The purpose of such checks will be to assess your suitability for the role. If it subsequently transpires that you have given incorrect, false or misleading information, your application will not be taken further.
What we will offer you:
Taylor Wimpey is a FTSE 100 business and one of the largest residential developers in the UK, building new homes and communities across England, Scotland and Wales. We are passionate about building new homes and communities with a focus on sustainability.
Our people are important to us and we want to make sure that we reward and recognise all the great work that they do. Our employees enjoy many standard benefits including access to the Taylor Wimpey House purchase discount scheme, pension (including company contributions), quality health cover, share save schemes as well as many flexible benefits such as buying additional holiday days, retails discounts, free Bupa health assessments and so much more. Our benefits work perfectly with our culture where you feel valued as a member of a successful team.
We offer industry leading subsidised professional training and development, which support our employees to excel and fulfil their career and personal goals in a variety of opportunities and environments. This in turn drives a strong succession of high performing customer centric leaders, really putting customers at the heart of everything we do. We embrace diversity and look to develop our people in the skills and areas they are most interested in, leveraging the qualities and appreciate the unique competencies, skills and experiences that each person brings to the company.