Our regional commercial teams are integral to the successful delivery of every Taylor Wimpey site. The function serves as the linchpin between our Technical and Production functions and makes the reality of a Taylor Wimpey development come to life. The Senior Quantity Surveyor position within the commercial team is a challenging and diverse role. You will have full commercial management responsibility for a number of housing projects, liaise with suppliers and make key decisions regarding the procurement of labour and materials. Collaboration is also key to the success of this role. You will work very closely with our site management, finance and design teams and own the reporting of key costs incurred across multiple sites.
The Senior Quantity Surveyor will have Full commercial management of a number of housing projects from conception to completion. Provide information, where necessary, for the land purchase exercise that will enable clear materials and labour costs to be considered at that stage. Manage the flow of Health and Safety information from the Commercial Department. Carry out Commercial duties as defined within CDM. Monitor and report build costs periodically reporting any savings and excesses.
What you will do:
- Full responsibility for the procurement of subcontractors
- Collaborate with departments across Taylor Wimpey to improve cost effectiveness and ensure timely delivery of projects whilst providing cost advice on any aspect of the build as and when required.
- Develop a close relationship with the site teams and a detailed knowledge of your allocated sites by maintaining a visible site presence, ensuring all developments are visited regularly and attending site meetings as required.
- Liaise with subcontractors in order to ensure sufficient resources are available and assist in the monitoring and evaluation of contractor performance.
- Monitor, reconcile and recharge any costs which relate to shared cost items with other Taylor Wimpey offices as well as external companies.
- Provide information for land purchase exercise.
- Complete the apportionment of total prime costs to individual plots and produce a profit analysis for the Director.
- Undertake valuations of production at budgeted cost monthly and split the cost of profit completions and potential future profit to estimate a value for work in progress.
- Report on savings and excesses against budget costs to the Director.
- Attend relevant project, concept, pre-tender, pre-start, specification, and any other relevant meeting as required
- Input and maintain any computer based databases or systems.
- Attend site on a regular basis to complete Commercial functions and support the site teams to running an efficient development
What you will have:
- Previous experience in a similar role within residential housebuilding
- A strong knowledge and appreciation of UK building regulations, NHBC and health and safety requirements within the industry
- Experience managing both internal and external clients in a commercial environment and an ability to build lasting and meaningful relationships with a variety of stakeholders
- Have an industry related qualification.
- Strong knowledge and experience of relevant IT systems and experience with MS Office
- Preferably a member of CIOB or RICS
Individuals seeking employments at Taylor Wimpey should know that we foster a culture of inclusion and value diversity positively which creates a better workplace and delivers stronger outcomes. We commit to treating all our job applicants and employees fairly and with respect, irrespective of background, disability or any other protected characteristic. If you require any assistance with regards to reasonable adjustments during the application process, please do not hesitate to contact us.
Checks and eligibility to work:
To be successful in this role you must be able to prove eligibility to work in the UK and hold a full UK drivers licence.
If you are successful at interview and the Company considers making an offer of employment, you may be asked to give your consent to the following pre-employment check[s] being undertaken by our third-party provider, Experian (or any other appropriate third-party provider that the Company chooses to engage).
The type of checks made will depend on the role in question but may include any or all the following:
- Criminal records (DBS);
- Credit reference
The purpose of such checks will be to assess your suitability for the role. If it subsequently transpires that you have given incorrect, false or misleading information, your application will not be taken further.
What we will offer you:
Taylor Wimpey is a FTSE 100 business and one of the largest residential developers in the UK, building new homes and communities across England, Scotland and Wales. We are passionate about building new homes and communities with a focus on sustainability.
Our people are important to us and we want to make sure that we reward and recognise all the great work that they do. Our employees enjoy many standard benefits including access to the Taylor Wimpey House purchase discount scheme, pension (including company contributions), quality health cover, share save schemes as well as many flexible benefits such as buying additional holiday days, retails discounts, free Bupa health assessments and so much more. Our benefits work perfectly with our culture where you feel valued as a member of a successful team.
We offer industry leading subsidised professional training and development, which support our employees to excel and fulfil their career and personal goals in a variety of opportunities and environments. This in turn drives a strong succession of high performing customer centric leaders, really putting customers at the heart of everything we do. We embrace diversity and look to develop our people in the skills and areas they are most interested in, leveraging the qualities and appreciate the unique competencies, skills and experiences that each person brings to the company.