Our regional commercial teams are integral to the successful delivery of every Taylor Wimpey site. The function serves as the linchpin between our Technical and Production functions and makes the reality of a Taylor Wimpey development come to life. The Commercial Manager position within the commercial team is a varied management role that focuses on ensuring the consistently high performance of the team, setting realistic but challenging targets, providing strategy and focus for the team and keeping the team in line with the overall plans of the Taylor Wimpey business. It also reports directly into the regional Commercial Director.
Setting targets and goals across the commercial department and ensuring that plans are in place to deliver those goals. Management, motivation and training of staff across the commercial function.
To maintain the business culture and control framework within the boundaries set out in the Operating Framework and Taylor Wimpey CDM processes.
To negotiate and procure all materials, labour and plant to ensure that the business’ unit output programme is carried out professionally and within budget.
- Manage the quantity surveying/buying activities in order that procurement and cost reporting are aligned within the COINS framework.
- Ensure adequate resources are on site to commence build in line with development programmes.
- Monitor and evaluate subcontract performance and take any appropriate action.
- Work with all subcontractors to negotiate best deals where appropriate and work with other departments to improve cost effectiveness.
Full Commercial Management of Housing Projects
- Calculate all the prime costs on developments within the business, reporting any movements in the costs since the preparation of the land purchase exercise. Prime costs to include but not restricted to house pricing, labour costs, site work operations and remediation work.
- Negotiate and place orders with all subcontractors and suppliers on a competitive tender basis.
- Provide a detailed cost budget and share with Site Manager at the appropriate time.
- Carry out full CVR process and prepare and present information for P&L meetings.
- Maintain the development budgets both in COINS and BoQ.
- Implement wherever possible value engineering solutions & strategy to optimise profit and efficiency for the business
- Attend site and carry out valuation/payment ticks.
- Assist in finalising/agreeing/managing Housing Association contracts.
- Forecast final accounts and assist in managing the adoption process through closed contracts.
Monitoring and Cost Reporting
- Monitor the performance of suppliers and subcontractors in conjunction with site based staff and provide feedback to suppliers and subcontractors outlining where an unacceptable standard of materials or performance has been identified.
- Report on Value Improvement actions through Quarterly Value Improvement Meetings.
- Manage, monitor external Project Managers Infrastructure Valuations and TW internal cost to complete reports and reflect latest estimates of incurred and forecast expenditure.
- To Review CVR’s with QS’s and ensure that the cost analysis of the site is correct.
- Report on savings and excesses against budget costs to the Commercial Director & Business Unit Management Team
- Scheduling and Quantifying Materials and Labour
- Complete the apportionment of total prime costs to individual plots and produce a profit analysis.
- Monitor and explain subcontractor cost movements.
- Responsible for subcontractor payments, variation orders and day works.
- Undertake valuations of production at budgeted cost on a monthly basis and split the cost of profit completions and potential future profit to estimate a value for work in progress.
- Maintain awareness of continuing product development in light of changes in legislation i.e. building regulations etc.
- Be aware of all codes of practice that have a commercial impact i.e. building regulations, HSE, NHBC etc.
- Attend prestart, specification and any other relevant meeting as required under the Company’s Operating Framework.
- Undertake regular site visits.
- Deputise in the management of the department and the commercial function in the Commercial Director’s absence.
- Any other duties as required by the Commercial Director.